Beware of Fraudulent Callers Posing as SouthState Bank
How the Scam Works
- A customer receives a call from a fraudster claiming to be from the South State Bank’s “Fraud Department”.
- The fraudster “spoofs” the phone number to make it look like it is coming from South State Bank, N.A. Customer Care phone Number, 1-800-277-2175.
- The purpose for the call is to alert the customer of fraudulent transactions on their debit card. The transactions do not exist.
- The fraudster provides the last 4 digits of the card number and notifies the customer of a refund for the false transactions.
- The fraudster enters the customer’s username into online banking and selects “Forgot Password”.
- A “Forgot Password” Secure Access Code (SAC) is sent to the customer.
- The fraudster asks for the code and the customer provides it, thus giving the fraudster access to the customer’s online banking.
- The fraudster initiates Zelle payments prompting the customer to receive an SMS message to authorize payment.
- The customer replies YES to authorize the Zelle transaction and the funds are debited from the customer’s account.